Every so often we find a friend who has a way with words. Maybe they've got a blog of their own, or perhaps they're a closeted comedian. Who would we be if we didn't give them a shot to stretch their wings and write? So, in that supportive way we know so well, please give a warm welcome to our guest blogger, Akron's own Dina Younis! Honestly, this lady knows how to thrift! Her pointers are golden. Take note, treasure hunters: Dina is proof that the Flea can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. It's all in the list!
I distinctly remember my first Holiday Flea and the cocktail of emotions (and libations) I experienced. They are thrilling, affordable, and cozy AF. The biggest rookie mistake I made was arriving unprepared without a shopping list.
This year, as you prepare your lists and check them twice, be sure to include all the hosts and hostesses who will be opening up their homes for you this holiday season. I’ll be playing the role of hostess for Thanksgiving and guest for Christmas, so I compiled a list of gifts that would make my heart flutter should I receive them on Thanksgiving (ahem) and gifts I’ll be picking up for our Christmas hosts. It’s the least I can do since I have full intentions of heading straight to the couch after dinner to recover.
A vintage gift adds a little something extra to your gesture. Whether you’re an avid vintage shopper or new to the game, these are all charming, unique, and practical ideas. Take a screenshot of this list, and bring it with you to November and December's holiday markets!
1. Vintage Apron
2. Recipe Boxes – or boxes that you can turn into a recipe box. Include your favorite handwritten recipes for added bonus points. My sister spent weeks writing down her favorite recipes for my birthday one year and I will cherish that book forever!
3. Vintage glass bottles for cocktails, homemade hot sauces, olive oils. Prepare a vintage cocktail for even more fun!
4. Vintage decanters - in true Mad Men fashion.
5. Vinyl to listen to at the party (if they have a record player).
6. Vintage Ornaments. This is one of my favorite gifts. Curate a theme while you’re shopping and package them creatively in a box or vase.
7. Vintage glasses, mugs, and tumblers
8. Vintage Wine Corks
9. Vintage Coasters. Add a bottle of wine to complete the gift.
10. Vintage Boxes. Fill these up with teas, herbs, candies or cookies that are available from food vendors at the Flea.
11. Vintage Cheese Knives with a variety of cheeses
12. Vintage Spoon Set. Look for beautiful gold sets and tie them with pretty string.
13. A Vintage Game. Keep an eye out for vintage board or card games you can play with guests!
14. Vintage Wreathes.
15. Vintage drink markers or charms.
Hope you all have a FLEAtastic holiday season!
Have you purchased admission our Holiday Markets yet?